President Biden’s signing Thursday of legislation that makes June 19th the new federal holiday of Juneteenth has left many federal and state offices scrambling to comply. Because that date this year falls on Saturday, it makes Friday a holiday day off from workday for federal, state, and county workers.
The U.S. Office of Personnel Management, which is the human resources office for the federal government, tweeted Thursday that most federal employees will observe the new holiday — Juneteenth National Independence Day — on Friday since June 19 falls on a Saturday this year.
Missouri’s governor has signed an order that closes state offices today in recognition of a new federal statute establishing Juneteenth as a government holiday. Missourinet’s Brian Hauswirth has our report:
The holiday has delayed the Missouri Medicaid lawsuit hearing in Cole County Circuit Court, which was originally set for today. It’s now been rescheduled for Monday afternoon.
The U.S. Postal Service web page indicates the Service is fully supportive of the new Juneteenth National Independence Day Act and making June 19 a federal holiday. … For that reason, the Postal Service will be operating on Friday, June 18 and Saturday 19, 2021, on a normal schedule, serving our customers to the best of our ability.
In compliance, the Pulaski County Courthouse in Waynesville will be closed Friday. However, County Court cases already on Friday’s docket will be conducted as scheduled.
On Fort Leonard Wood, federal employees will observe the holiday on Friday. Employees should contact their immediate supervisors with any questions or for additional guidance/information.
Due to the federal holiday being recognized on June 18th, the following updates to events and operations on Fort Leonard Wood are as follows:
43rd AG Battalion Change of Command is still scheduled to take place at 9 a.m., June 18th at Grant Hall.
– Child Development Centers, School Age Center, and Middle School and Teen Center will be closed Friday.
– All youth sports are canceled for Friday and Saturday
– Army Birthday 5K Fun Run is canceled.
– Right Arm Night is canceled.
– Army Birthday Golf Scramble is canceled, but the Piney Valley Golf Course will be open.
– Other MWR establishments that are scheduled to be closed Friday are: Specker Gym, Army Community Services , Leisure Travel Services, Auto Skills Center, Bruce C. Clarke Community Library and Pershing Community Center.
– Davidson Fitness Center is scheduled to be open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
– Piney Valley Golf Course is scheduled to be open normal hours.
– Other MWR establishments scheduled to be open Friday with normal hours are: Outdoor Adventure Center, Rec Plex (miniature golf, go-karts, Wallace Outdoor Pool), Daugherty Bowling Center and Lake of the Ozarks Recreation Area.
– The Drive-In Movie is still scheduled to take place at 8:45 p.m. with a free showing of the PG-rated film, “The War with Grandpa,” at the Baker Theater parking lot
– Sandbaggers Cornhole Classic is still scheduled for noon, Saturday, June 19th, at the Piney Valley Golf Course
– Fort Leonard Wood Transition Assistance Program Hiring Fair is still a go and is scheduled from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday at Nutter Field House
– ID Card Facility and In/Out Processing will be open normal hours with minimal staffing, please call ahead. ID Card Facility – 573.596.0744; In/Out Processing – 573.596.8118
– Education Center and Official Mail Room will be closed.
– Commissary will be open with normal hours.
– PX and shopettes will be open with normal hours.
– AAFES will close the American Eatery, MSCoE and GLWACH Express shopettes, and the mobile food trucks; all other AAFES establishments will be open with normal hours
– Garrison Safety’s Remedial Driver’s Training is still scheduled for 8 a.m., June 18 at the 5th Engineer Battalion classroom
– All scheduled appointments at GLWACH will occur to include Primary Care. There will be minimal services for Pharmacy and Lab. For information about the Pharmacies at GLWACH and for appointments, please refer to GLWACH’s Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/GLWACH or call the Appointment Line at 1.866.299.4234
– John B. Mahaffey Museum Complex will be closed