As winter weather sweeps through the area, one favored method of warming one’s home is through the use of space heaters. However, caution must be used, as space heaters are one of the leading causes of home fires during the winter season. Doug Yurecko, Waynesville Rural Fire Protection District Fire Chief, says inspecting and understanding the space heater should take top priority.
Shauna McCulloch, Pulaski County Director of Emergency Management, says combustible elements should be at least 3 feet from the space heater.
If you opt for a kerosene heater this winter, Yurecko recommends ensuring it is in working order and having a CO2 monitor on hand.